Saturday, May 14, 2011

Recyclable Sandals from Okabashi Shoes

Finding a sandal that's comfortable, durable and has a shot at surviving a hectic life with two kids is no easy task. Too often I'm sacrificing something in the process, and usually my feet are feeling the pain.

So I admit to being surprised after checking out a pair of Okabashi sandals. I was pitched to try them from the environmental angle - they are vegan-friendly and 100% recyclable - but found that they are comfortable as well! They have great arch support, have little massaging beads and are flexible, both things that help with hours on your feet. And the fact that they're washable in your dishwasher allows for a crazy convenience in a crazy life.

The sandals are easy on the eyes and the wallet, costing less than $20 a pair. And I love that the shoes are guaranteed for two years, and when you're ready to part ways with the pair, the company wants it back - to recycle for new materials. In the last year, Okabashi was able to reuse over 100,000 lbs of scrap shoes. That is 10 tractor trailers full of scrap that would have otherwise be sent to a landfill.

Want to try them out? Okabashi will be giving away one pair of sandals to a reader! To enter, post a comment no later than Sunday, May 22, midnight EDT. You can get additional entries for 1) tweeting the contest, 2) blogging about it and 3) adding us to your RSS reader.
We will draw one winner randomly and post to the blog.

Disclaimer: I did not receive monetary compensation for this product.

13 comments:

Brady Balouga said...

Those are so neat! What a great idea to take the shoes back and recycle them!

Heather said...

So cool! Done this with toothbrushes but never with shoes...can't wait to try them ;)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to try these sandals! Thanks so much for the giveaway.
maddiemb {at} comcast (dot) net

Jaime said...

I've been meaning to look into these. Thanks for the review!

Luvdaylilies said...

I love that these are recyclable and they're made in the USA~2 great things going for the brand!
Thanks,
Lethea B
Luvdaylilies at bellsouth dot net

bhelenj said...

These look so interesting. I'd love to try them.

Jenn the Greenmom said...

Hey, these look cool! (And since I'm about to leave my job and be a Poor Student, I won't be able to buy cool new shoes any more...)

Thanks for entering me!
Jenn
(I guess if you're already in my Google Reader, that can't count as another entry, can it? :-)

Robbie said...

Jenn, a poor student, huh? We'll have to chat...have lots of tips on getting through college (even if you're not on financial aid!)

Jenn the Greenmom said...

There, and I blogged about it too.

http://greenmomintheburbs.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/what-im-reading-2/

thanks for doing this!
--Jenn

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to recycle these shoes. Love the styles too!

fsofindy said...

These do look stylish and comfortable. And a great idea to recycle them!

Anonymous said...

I am defintely going to buy these shoes and talk about it on Twitter: @ThinkGreenHost

robbie @ use resources wisely said...

I have to say after 5 years, I've just had to replace mine!