Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Raspberry dessert - for diabetics!

One of the biggest treats during summer trips to Wisconsin was enjoying my grandmother's raspberry dessert. And while I remember it, I also remember her kindly setting aside a bowl of raspberries and whipped cream for my mother, a diabetic.

Years later, I realize why. The recipe was great, but it's also loaded with sugar.

This summer, I retooled the recipe with a little less sugar and a little more raspberries (taking into account a fortunate finding of a bag of frozen raspberries in our freezer).

So here is a diabetic-friendlier (albiet not perfect) recipe. I hope Grandma would approve!

Raspberry Dessert (Revisited)
Crust:
1/2 cup margarine
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cups flour

Mix until crumbly. Pat into 9 x 12-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until light brown.

While baking, make topping:
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups Spendla
1/4 cup cornstarch

Cook until clear in saucepan. After it is clear, remove from heat and add 1 small box sugar-free raspberry Jello. Cool.

On crust, spread 1 1/2 quarts fresh or frozen berries. Pour Jello mixture over berries. Refrigerate until set and top with whipped topping.

No comments: