Saturday, June 5, 2010

Radishes Redoux

I'm the first to admit that I'm always on the hunt for fresh ways to use up what's in my garden. So when I saw this summer challenge on 5dollardinners.com, I was all for it.

This week's discussion is what to do with radishes. I admit radishes were at first a challenge with my kids - and me, as well. I all too well remember the sharp taste in my mouth when eating them in a summertime salad. I avoided them for years.

Then one summer I was talked into trying radishes again by a vendor at our local farm stand. His suggestion? Slice and saute' them in a frying pan, in a small amount of butter, then salt and pepper. Amazingly simple. And for a few bucks, I figured I'd try it.

We never looked back.

This year, we actually took the plunge and started growing our own radishes, and they're as easy to grow as they are to prepare. Toss a few seeds on to the dirt, and a little water and some patience, protect them from overeager toddlers' fingers, and you're set.

This is my contribution for Grow. Eat. Save's feature on radishes at 5dollardinners.com. Hungry for more? You can find future topics here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admit nary a radish has passed my lips in years, perhaps I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Katie said...

We also roast them with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Delish!