Monday, July 6, 2009

Our 'Ace of Cakes' birthday

When asked how they'd like to spend their birthday, some children want to go to the game center. Or an amusement park. Or

Not my child. She wants the $200 cake.

Let me explain. About a month ago, I asked my daughter what she wanted for her fourth birthday. Her answer? A Jasmine cake.

Um, yea. Mommy doesn't have that kind of talent. Can I scrapbook? Sure. Design all kinds of publications? Sure. Take a photo or two - in focus? Of course. But drawing a Disney princess in frosting? I don't think so.

So I break it to her gently. "Mommy can't do that," I pleaded.

"Sure you can. Like 'Ace of Cakes.'"

I silently vow to add the Food Network to the list of banned television in the house. I hedge, then counter: "What about an 'Ace of Cakes' party?"

Bingo! She was all over that. So excited, in fact, that she started planning who would sit where in the minivan, and which friend required a booster seat so that we could drive to the "Ace of Cakes" location for the party!

Needless to say, Indiana's a long drive to Baltimore. But today's not the day for a geography lesson. "Well, I was thinking we could make cakes like the 'Ace of Cakes,'" I suggest.

Sold. Thank goodness.

As party day arrived, our kitchen table was covered in three types of frosting, three dozen cupcakes and six potential toppings to decorate said cupcakes. And she and her friends huddled around the table with their "stash," and with an artist's touch (at least a preschool artist's touch), they smothered those poor cupcakes until no frosting, candies or sprinkles were left.

Sugared up, they dashed to the birthday girl's for a rendition or two of songs from "Mama Mia." At least they were burning some of it off, I thought.

And at the end of the party, those creations went home. Not much mess, no leftovers to sweat over and a very happy guest of honor.

No comments: