Monday, June 23, 2008

When organic raspberries aren't right

Raspberries are a summertime favorite for me, bringing back memories of picking them in the shade of the trees by my grandmother's garden in central Wisconsin.

When I see fresh raspberries in the storem particularly at a great price, I'm bound to notice. And they never get farther than freshly washed.

The other day, the raspberries huddled together in large, clear containers at Sam's Club, and I couldn't resist. I opened the package at home and happily noted that they were organic.

Interestingly, though, Driscoll's packages its organic raspberries in #6 plastic, the largely non-recyclable kind.

It's not the first time I've gotten organic produce packaged in plastic you cannot recycle. Organic vendors at the local farm stands, markets and even once from my CSA have done the same thing. Is it me, or does anyone else see the irony of packaging organic - better for you and the environment - food in not-so-great-for-the-environment, non-recyclable plastic packaging?

No comments: